Sunday, August 14, 2011

EDUC 8842 Module 6



References

Beer, M., Slack, F., & Armitt, G. (2005). Collaboration and teamwork: Immersion and presence in an online learning environment. Information Systems Frontiers, 7(1), 27-37. doi:10.1007/s10796-005-5336-9

Cavus, N. (2007). Assessing the success rate of students using a learning management system together with a collaborative tool in web-based teaching of programming languages. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 36(3), 301-321.

Chan, C. K., & Chan, Y. (2011). Students' views of collaboration and online participation in knowledge forum. Computers & Education, 57(1), 1445-1457. doi: 10.1016/j.compedu.2010.09.003

Jahnke, J. (2010). Student perceptions of the impact of online discussion forum participation on learning outcomes. Journal of Learning Design, 3(2), 27-34.

Lee, S., & Tsai, C. (2011). Students’ perceptions of collaboration, self-regulated learning, and information seeking in the context of internet-based learning and traditional learning. Computers in Human Behavior, 27(2), 905-914. doi:10.1016/j.chb.2010.11.016

Moller, L. (2008a). Static and dynamic technological tools. [Unpublished Paper].

Moller, L., Foshay, W., & Huett, J. (2008b, July/August). The evolution of distance education: Implications for instructional design on the potential of the Web (Part 2: Higher Education). TechTrends, 52(4), 66–70.

Oliveira, I. I., Tinoca, L. L., & Pereira, A. A. (2011). Online group work patterns: How to promote a successful collaboration. Computers & Education, 57(1), 1348-1357. doi:10.1016/j.compedu.2011.01.017

Palloff, R. M., & Pratt, K. (2005). Collaborating online: Learning together in community. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Palloff, R. M., & Pratt, K. (2007). Building online learning communities: Effective strategies for the virtual classroom. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Rheingold, H (2008). Way-New Collaboration [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/howard_rheingold_on_collaboration.html




2 comments:

  1. Bianca,

    You did an excellent job of establishing an understanding of what collaboration is and what it looks like. Collaboration is not only a significant element within disance education, but in a F2F environment as well. You chose a topic that might have been simplistic in regards to our knowledge base, however, with the informative aspects that you added, you created a more developed and higher level of thinking when it comes to engaging in collaborative tasks in a post-secondary environment. I think that your inclusion of video was a great idea, however, I would have liked you to explain what was being seen in some of the videos, as it would have strengthend the audience's understanding of collaboration in a learning environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Temeka,

    Thank you so much for your feedback! Although I have learned so much about the topic of collaboration in our course, I feel that there is so much more I need to examine regarding its potential to transform traditional face-to-face, as well as distance education. I do not believe that it is a simplistic topic, therefore I have chosen to explore it further by choosing it as a topic. Also, my understanding is that the use of video was a requirement for our project. I do appreciate your mention for a need to explain the videos. As my speaker introduction was to be featured at a professional conference, I did not see that need, since the audience is made of educators who should be familiar with educational settings and teaching practices. Thanks again for your reply!

    ReplyDelete